Originally a camp for railroad workers, a townsite was laid out with the arrival of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in 1877.
It was named after Marion Dove, whose grandfather, Joshua W. Young, owned a plantation that they passed through in 1877.
German settlers moved to Marion and the town was off to a running start by the mid 1880s, with 250 people and most essential businesses, including two cotton gins, church, school and four general stores.
Prior to WWII, Marion had a population of 373, rising to 835 by the late 1980s. The 1990 census was 984, growing to 1,099 for 2000.”Marion, Texas is on FM 78, about 10 miles west of Seguin. Marion was founded in 1877 by Thomas W. Pierce, of Boston in honor of his daughter, Miss Marion Pierce. Pierce was president of the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railroad, and Marion was a major railway stop to get Texas ready for exports being brought in from ports in the Gulf of Mexico. In 1878 it was the largest and busiest depot in Texas.”
– Sarah Reveley, San Antonio
For more information visit http://cityofmariontx.org/